Monday, August 31, 2015

Book Review: The Deal by Elle Kennedy (@ElleKennedy)



The Deal (Off-Campus #1)
Author: Elle Kennedy
Publication Date: February 24, 2015
Published: Self Published

My Rating:

She’s about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she’s carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush’s attention, she’ll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice... even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it’s going to be oh so good.

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he’s worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he’s all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him.

When it comes to sports college romance books, this is in my top 5. The Deal was just that damn good. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it. On first glance, it just seemed like another meek girl and the jock falling in love story. I was over that. But because I'm a goodreads rating snob, and I saw it was pretty high, I gave it a chance.

Best decision ever!


Hannah isn't what I expected at all. Yeah, she wasn't the most popular girl but she wasn't falling over Garrett's bullshit like everyone else was. She gave it back just as much and I loved her for that. Garrett wasn't just the completely dumb jock either. Yes, he was failing and needed Hannah's help, but you could tell there was more to him.

Of course things weren't that easy. In comes the deal; Hannah helps Garrett in school, and Garrett helps Hannah get the guy she's crushing on. At first I was expecting Garrett to immediately fall for Hannah but again, I was pleasently surprised. They became real friends. So when "the kiss" happens, the pay off is amazing!


There are some really sad moments as well and they had me tearing up. Hannah had some serious baggage but it didn't make her this angsty chick just for the sake of being full of angst. And Garrett wasn't exempt either. Both of their drama's never weighed down the story for me though and it still didn't leave the story feeling overly fluffy as well. The level of reality helped The Deal become one of my favorite reads this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment