Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday! Most Unique Books We've Read


We all want to be different. Stand out. Make an impression. Today's top ten is just that. Brought to us from the lovelies at  The Broke and the Bookish, we are going to give you some of the most unique books we've read.
  1. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider - I've read books from male POV, however, not a male as witty as Ezra. The usage of puns is what really made this book unique to me. Can you say Angry Wings? Very inventive Ms. Schneider. I love it.

 2. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson - I tend to stray away from books dealing with death, as I'm a softy, but this particular book called to me. Having just lost a sibling when I started to read it, I was feeling a bit masochistic, but came out feeling... relieved? I remember looking up at the sky and saying, "The sky is everywhere, and so are you." It was a fresh take on how a sibling handles the crushing weight of losing such a big part of them, while the world continues to go on. It was tastefully done, so much that the HEA ending didn't take away from the grief. Unique? You betcha.

 3. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - Come on, it is a book in the form of a dictionary. That is as unique as you can get lately. It was cute and different.





4.  The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black - Vampirism is an epidemic? Not entirely new, but the way it reminded me of something closer to the zombie apocalypse was. This author took a popular genre and made it her own.

5. Splintered by A.G. Howard - Of all the books I've listed, this is the most unique to me. A.G. Howard has taken Lewis Carroll's wonderful world of Wonderland and made it something to fear. A beautiful nightmare. What ever happened to Alice? This book right here answered this question for me and so many more. A very unique take on how things really happened in Wonderland and what came next.

6. Angelfall by Susan Ee - Unique, creepy, something I never thought possible. Those are the only things I could used to describe this series. What Susan Ee does that is unique is take the iconic view of what we think of Angels and make them the villains. They are beautiful and otherworldly, however, they bring destruction to our world. I had never read anything else like it.

 7. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor - Another story with angels that I didn't expect. But what made this unique for me was the fact that I didn't know what was going to happen before it did. It was a total mystery to me until the end when every little frustrating detail made sense. Also, Karou, as the main heroine of this mysterious story, she was unlike anything I had ever read before. 
 8. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I've read books from many POV's but having a story told from the view of death was something I wasn't expecting. At times it was difficult to keep up with death's tangents but I think that is what made it really unique. Usually you see a story from an outsiders view but never from something or someone so universally known and abstract. 

 9. The Truth about Alice by Jennifer Mathieu - Again, a book with mystery and unique POVs. This book is told from the view of four different characters. They are as different as they come in the hierarchy of highschool. A jock, popular girl, wannabe and geek weed through rumors and truths surrounding the title character. Something I had not seen before in many places. It keeps you wondering what is the truth till the end.
 10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - When I read this book I was blown away because of how different it felt. Yes, I had read a book in the form of letter's before and yes, I've read about troubled teenagers. Though, something about Charlie's voice felt fresh and new and different. He wasn't a teenager sounding like an episode of Dawson's Creek or beyond his scope of experience. He felt like a real kid with real issues. It was honest.

Until Next Time!

5 comments:

  1. Nice choices! I've read a couple of them, and they are unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lists! I've been dying to read Splintered. I've heard great things about it. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of those I've always meant to read but haven't gotten around to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good book. Quick read as well.

      Delete
  3. Great list :) I picked Perks too, such a brilliant book and definitely a unique read. I have also read and enjoyed The Book Thief, The Sky is Everywhere and The Beginning of Everything. Quite a few of the others are still sitting on my TBR list. My TTT.

    ReplyDelete