Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday! Gateway Books/Authors in Our Reading Journey


We've all had to start somewhere, right? This week, thanks to The Broke and the Bookish, we are going to name some of the books/authors that helped us on this journey we call avid reading.

  1. The Harry Potter Series: I know that a lot of people will list this but that isn't going to stop me. Before finding out about this, I barely read what was assigned to me in school. But once I got into it and especially after seeing the movie, I realized that reading could be for fun instead of forced.
  2. The Mortal Instruments Series: I didn't know what Urban Fantasy was before reading City of Bones. I wasn't even that into reading young adult as a genre, but when I finally started the book after having it for about a year, I was blown away.It showed me that there was other fantasy out there besides Harry Potter. I'm grateful to have read it.
  3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker: This was the first adult book I ever remember reading. I am a movie junkie so actually getting to read this book and see the differences from the movie was a jolt for me. Though it was the first time I actually said "The book was better."
  4. Rainbow Rowell: Before reading her books and following her on twitter, I never thought of authors as celebrities besides ones like Anne Rice and Stephen King. Something about her writing really made me excited about reading more contemporary novels. And after finally meeting her and seeing how down to earth and 'normal' she was, it helped me realize that hell, maybe I can be a writer.
  5. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice: Before this book and series, I didn't know what Erotica was. It was just so well and out there and inventive. Plus it taught me what a phallus was.  

  1. Stephanie Meyer: She introduced me to the supernatural world and for getting me back into reading after a long three year slump.
  2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This opened the door (for me) to other circus based novels, like Cirque Du Freak.
  3. Gillian Flynn: She gave me the wonder forld of horror. All three of her books are captivating. I never knew that horror could be so good!
  4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: This was my first real taste of contemporary young adult, after stepping into adulthood.
  5. The Submissive by Tara Sue Me: Though I read it before it was publish, this book introduced me to the term UNF and Erotica.

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment