Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday! Read In One Sitting Theme: Five of the shortest books I've read



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish


1) Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I loved this story and have read it a few times. You can read it in a day but your eyes will be red and swollen from crying.


2) I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
This story is shorter than I expected and nothing like the movie with Will Smith. The book was better. The vampires were not the flesh eating drones of the movie but beings the main character could speak to, and they feared him. The edition I bought had other story stories from Matheson, but I Am Legend is short enough for a quick read.


3) Rappaccini’s Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
It's only 27 pages but it's beautifully written, and a timeless gothic story.


4) "Princess Prettypants", by Meg Cabot. This is a short story that is part of a completion of short stories in a book called Zombies vs Unicorns, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier. There are some great stories in there but I singled this one out because it made me laugh so hard. What great is that you can go back to any story in the book and reread it in one sitting.


5) Frankenstein based on the novel by Mary Shelley, by Nick Dear
It's 77 pages and is the script for the play that was directed by Danny Boyle and stared Benedict Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller. They alternated the roles of Dr. Frankenstein/the Creature each night. I did not get to see this production live, sadly, but the performances were recorded and broadcasted in theaters around the world.
I did read the book by Mary Shelley years ago in high school. While I loved the morality and ethical concepts and the sci-fi aspect, I disliked her style of writing. So I prefer reading, or watching, this version.

No comments:

Post a Comment