Monday, July 27, 2015

Guest Book Review: Alive by Scott Sigler (@scottsigler)


Alive (The Generations Trilogy #1) 
Author: Scott Sigler
Publication Date: July 14, 2015
Published: Del Rey
Reviewer: Stephanie

My Rating: 

A young woman awakes trapped in an enclosed space. She has no idea who she is or how she got there. With only her instincts to guide her, she escapes her own confinement—and finds she’s not alone. She frees the others in the room and leads them into a corridor filled with the remains of a war long past. The farther these survivors travel, the worse are the horrors they confront. And as they slowly come to understand what this prison is, they realize that the worst and strangest possibilities they could have imagined don’t even come close to the truth.

I picked up an ARC at Book Con. The release date is July 14, 2015. I will be respectful of author’s request and keep this spoiler free.


I enjoyed Alive very much. It’s an exciting page turner. Sigler does a great job of writing about human behavior. During the characters’ journey and discoveries they face many ethical, phycological, political, and other challenges.

The characters are well developed and play off each other in a manner that the reader feels like they are a part of their group.

I have to mention this and I won’t give anything away. I’ll just describe it in a general summary. There is a very subtle love triangle but it was not the main focus, which I loved. It’s more about basic human emotions of attraction and some jealousy, rather than anything mushy, idealistic and moving way too fast.


I like the sci-fi aspect. It was not what I was expecting since I thought it would be a supernatural story. Some answers I guessed correctly and other times I would go back and reread chapters to absorb all the details again. There is some world building that really interests me and I want more details.

The pacing is just right. I didn’t get frustrated by drawn out mysteries but there are questions I hope are addressed in the next two books.

I can say without a doubt I am interested in this trilogy and look forward to the release of book two.

5 out 5 (circles) O


No comments:

Post a Comment