Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Beginnings & The Friday 56 #17


"Book Beginnings" on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader, the meme encourages to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book.

"The Friday 56" is also a weekly event, hosted by Freda's Voice, where you find any sentence, (or few, just don’t spoil it) that grab you from page 56 or 56% in your book/eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)

So this week we are going to do a combined book because we are both currently reading Dark Places. I, personally, love Gillian Flynn and her twisted writing style. What about you? Have you read any of her books? 




Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she had been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her brother's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

Who did massacre the Day family?

"I have a meanness inside me, real as an organ."


Oh, Libby Day is not someone I would want to meet in a dark alley. 

"The whole psychiatric community, the police, law enforcement, the whole shebang--they thought everyone was a Devil worshiper back then. It was... trendy."

Until next time, 


5 comments:

  1. That's a great opening and 56 choice. I'm curious about why the testimony of a child would be allowed in a murder trial and whether or not Libby is able to find out the truth about the crime so many years later. Sounds like a good story.

    My Friday post features NOT YET.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an exciting thriller. I've been wanting to get my hands on Gone Girl too.

    My 56

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazeballs!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this book for a book swap and I made the mistake of reading the synopsis, now I don't want to give it away! Oh well, I'll just have to buy my own copy :) And I've got Gone Girl waiting to be read so that should tide me over!
    I also just thought I'd let you know that I've nominated you guys for a Liebster Award, you have a great blog! Check it out here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously loved Dark Places! I cannot wait for the movie!


    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete