Friday, June 20, 2014

Book Beginnings & The Friday 56 #2

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader, the meme encourages to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book.

 "The Friday 56" is also a weekly event, hosted by Freda's Voice, where you find any sentence, (or few, just don’t spoil it) that grab you from page 56 or 56% in your book/eReader (If you have to improvise, that's ok.)

It just so happens that this week we are reading the same book, so while we'll both have the same first line, it was interesting to see our different thoughts on it! Here goes...


Virgin by Radhika Sanghani
Okay, I admit it…I didn’t do it.

Yet.

This is normal, right? I mean, just because everyone I know has talked like they’ve already done it doesn’t mean that they’re telling the truth…right?

It’s not like I’m asking for that much. I don’t need the perfect guy. I don’t need candlelight or roses. Honestly, I don’t even need a real bed.

The guys I know complain that girls are always looking for Mr. Right—do I have to wear a sign that says I’m only looking for Mr. Right Now?

Sooooo…anyone out there want sex? Anyone? Hello? Just for fun?

I am not going to die a virgin. One way or another I am going to make this happen.

Hey, what have I got to lose? Besides the obvious.

 
 
“Ellie Kolstakis
21 years old
Nonsmoker
VIRGIN”

Keira: Brows up. What a goodie two-shoes! Of course this was my initial thought. Immediately I thought Ellie must be religious. She must be boring. I didn't think I would like Virgin because it wasn't relatable to me on a personal level. Wrong.

Nikki: The beginning of this book speaks to me with just that short intro. You could basically switch out the name for my own! The word virgin was like a beacon. Even though I knew the title, read the description, seeing it in that capacity was like BAM! In your face!

Keira: “I decided to slip the bullet straight into my vagina for some penetration action. It felt nice, and definitely different, until I pushed it in as far as it would go and it slipped in behind the contracting/valve bit where tampons go. Only, unlike a tampon, the bullet didn't have a string hanging off it to pull it back to safety. Which meant it was vibrating deep inside me, and I COULDN'T GET IT OUT!”

Nikki: "I'm sure it was all good for Madonna being touched like a virgin for the first time, but what about when you're a virgin touching yourself for the first time? Because most girls out there were touching their vaginas way before they ever let a boy down there - or even knew that what they were doing had a name."

Until Next Time!

6 comments:

  1. I was actually taken back by how vulgar it was. However, the book has a great message, empowering women. It's relatable in a way that I would NEVER recommend it to a man, for fear of giving away our secrets! LOL

    Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but bust out laughing at the 56! Imagine getting the bullet stuck while on. Fun or shameful, I don't know... LOL


    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book had me in tears, Freda! There are so many mishaps like this one. Definitely laugh out loud funny.

    Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end I was satisfied with the way that things panned out. It was such a fun and funny read. Most certainly worth the read. There wasn't something in there that every woman couldn't find relatable.

    Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do we call it "down there?" Like it's some place far, far away. It's kind of funny. I can't imagine the bullet. Seems like it would be dangerous any place whether down there or up there. Don't like bullets. Hope you enjoy it. It seems like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Virgin. I remember thinking i would die a virgin too. Wonder if guys have the same thought. The way she talks just seems so real. I would like to read this one. It seems like a fun read. Hope she doesn't get the wrong guy.

    ReplyDelete