Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Top Ten (4) Tuesday! Books I wish had more sorcery!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish


1) Enchantress: A Novel of Rav Hisda's Daughter by Maggie Anton.

Looking back on my review I wrote:
"There was so much time spent on Hisdadukh and Rava's courtship and not enough on her sorcery. Training with her mother would have been cool to see. I mean the title is Enchantress after all."


2) The Heavens Rise by Christopher Rice

Excerpt from my review:
"For a mystery novel The Heavens Rise is really straightforward. There are no drawn out plot twists or turns. The reader can easily know what is going on. There is a touch of a supernatural element, though I feel the “mind monsters” where introduced too late."


3) Beautiful Creatures: Caster Chronicles #1, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Excerpt:
"I found Lena to be a bit dull. She was just a broken record, although I suppose that is just the characters discussing their problems over and over again way too much. Dragged the story somewhat.
Practically every chapter ended with the same message: 'We are running out of time.' Ok, I get it." 


The last book in the series, Beautiful Redemption, lived up to its title and redeemed the series:
"It leaves behind the silly high school drama and it's the most supernatural of the series, which might make it the best... there was less moping and whining (Lena) and more getting stuff done... The story did not drag, coming under 300 pages on my nook."

4) Rappacini's Daughter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Being a short story I can't say much. I enjoyed it and it was very sad.  I do wish it was a novel so that the supernatural aspects could have been explored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment