Monday, September 12, 2016

Guest Book Review: It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover! (@colleenhoover)


It Ends With Us
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: August 2, 2016
Published: Atria Books
Reviewer: Stephanie M.

My Rating:

SOMETIMES THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU IS THE ONE WHO HURTS YOU THE MOST
Lily hasn't always had it easy, but that's never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She's come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up - she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily's life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.
Ryle is assertive, stubborn, and maybe even a little arrogant. He's also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily, but Ryle's complete aversion to relationships is disturbing.
As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan - her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.
With this bold and deeply personal novel, Colleen Hoover delivers a heart-wrenching story that breaks exciting new ground for her as a writer. It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price.
This book contains graphic scenes and very sensitive subject matter.

I am a HUGH Colleen Hoover fan, and Just like any other Colleen Hoover book I’ve read, I had to emotionally prepare myself to read her lasted novel (since I’ve learned the hard way when I first encountered a Colleen Hoover book, yeah it wasn’t pretty). This time, I made sure I had the essentials nearby, tissues, teddy bear or pillow to hold (a loved one works too since they can hug back).



I knew going in, that Colleen had written this book on a personal level, what I wasn’t prepared for was being able to relate wholeheartedly to this story. Everything about this book and story had me from the first sentence to the last. Colleen has a way with words that can take a topic not many understand and make you experience it firsthand.

Lily is a compassionate woman, that grew up in an environment where her mother did everything she could to always see her father at his best and protect her from his worst. Ryle never believed in relationships until Lily came into his life, but he also kept a dark secret from Lily that caused her world to turn upside down, and Atlas Lily's first love who reappears after she begins to establish her relationship with Ryle. Each characters have gone through so much individually, that you cannot help but want to crawl inside of this book, hold them close to tell them everything is going to be ok. And then there are times that you just want to punch a few in the face, because really. I don’t want to give much away because I believe everyone needs to experience this book, as it reminds us that there are always grey areas in every situation as it even says in the blurb “Sometimes it is the one who loves you hurts you the most.”

This story for me hit so close to home, that it gave me flashbacks to what I had seen growing up. I don’t want you to think that this book made me feel terrible things, it did the complete opposite, it healed me. I know that may sound strange, but it did. This story taught me that no matter what it’s never too late to break the cycle of familiarity, each and every one of us is worthy of so much more, and to be brave and bold in everything you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment