Friday, March 18, 2016

Lazy Discussions: The Waiting Game!


There are many things I'm guilty of when it comes to reading habits. But there are a few that I've noticed around that people do. I've noticed that when it comes to series, some people will wait until the series is completed to start so they don't have to wait until the next book comes out. 

Now, I can be a binge reader and I know for a fact that I'm a better binge watcher than anything. I will binge watch a show I've seen before than catch up on a current show and wait a week for a new episode. Just easier when there is more to keep going. 

When I was younger, waiting for the next Harry Potter book was part of the fun. It was all about the build up and the anticipation that got me almost more excited than anything. Seems like adolescence Nikki had a lot more patience than adult Nikki. Now, I go crazy waiting for a book to come out.



When it comes to reading, I sometimes will pick up a series after it is all done and then read my way through book by book. I recently did that with the Melanie Harlow series Frenched. I loved it and when I finished, I was in a serious book hangover. I remember when I was in the Fanfic world, people would wait until a story was finished to start reading. It's the same principle I believe.

Then there are the times when lets say, 4 out of 6 books are out in a series and I binge the first 4 and then have to wait 6 months to the next one. That happened to me with Jay Crownover's Marked Men series. By the time the last book came out, Asa, my drive for the series went down. Many factors went into that though. The wait seemed like forever, I read a lot of other series since I finished the 5th book, I forgot some stuff, and I think just time. Part of me wishes I had waited. 


On the other hand, I still love the anticipation of a book I've been waiting for to come out. It is one of the reasons why I love the Waiting On Wednesday meme so much. Builds the hype. 

My question today, is it better to just wait till a series is completed to start? Or does the wait for a new book make the series better?

No comments:

Post a Comment