Monday, February 15, 2016

Guest Book Review: Rebel Bully Geek Pariah by Erin Jade Lange! (@erinjadelange)


Rebel Bully Geek Pariah
Author: Erin Jade Lange
Publication Date: February 16, 2016
Published: Bloomsbury
Source: Netgalley
Reviewer: Lametria

My Rating:

"The Breakfast Club" gets a modern, high-stakes reboot in this story of four very different teens and a night that changes them forever.

The Rebel: Once popular, Andi is now a dreadlocked, tattooed wild child.
The Bully: York torments everyone who crosses his path, especially his younger brother.
The Geek: Tired of being bullied, Boston is obsessed with getting into an Ivy League college.
The Pariah: Choosing to be invisible has always worked for Sam . . . until tonight.

When Andi, York, Boston, and Sam find themselves hiding in the woods after a party gets busted by the cops, they hop into the nearest car they see and take off—the first decision of many in a night that will change their lives forever. By the light of day, these four would never be caught dead together, but when their getaway takes a dangerously unpredictable turn, sticking together could be the only way to survive.
What a modern twist on the Breakfast Club?! This story, chronicles the tale of four misfit teenagers that are thrown together very randomly, and are forced to share a crazy night together that they will never forget. Who forgets their first crime?


The story begins with Sam, the narrator and the main protagonist of the story, who has a troubling past with her mom, who has a repetitive battle with addiction. Then you meet Andi, the once mean girl, turned rebel, and then there’s brothers Boston and York, who have a history of sibling rivalry with troubles of their own, who are the bully and geek of the story. All four of these characters have very unique personalities, just like the Brat pack, but this group is more like the fugitive’s pack or something that’s actually clever.


I didn’t expect to enjoy the story as much as I did. Although, I did predict a lot of the twists and turns, I appreciated that the twist and turns had their own twists and turns of their own. The backstory of the characters was pretty much predictable, but Andi, is the one who stood out the most to me and is the one, at least in my opinion, stole the show. I would love to read this story from her point of view instead of Sam. No offense to Sam, I think she’s great, but I’m sick of the woe is me because my mom is an addict protagonist. Andi was definitely a hundred times more interesting and unique. The boys were okay; I didn’t care to much for them. I liked them, and I appreciate them as characters and what they added to the story, but as individuals I didn’t care for them much, and I honestly kept getting confused and, I’m still confused as to who’s the oldest and the youngest, but oh well.

All in all, I did enjoy this story and I think it’s because of how much I love the Breakfast Club, it’s my favorite 80s movie. I just wish it had a little more heart, like the Breakfast Club did, but apparently in this generation, what a lot of people are missing in this society is a heart. 


So, I give this story 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment