Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Guest Book Review: Golden Son by Pierce Brown (@Pierce_Brown)


Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy #2) by Pierce Brown
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
Published: Del Rey
Reviewer: Stephanie

My Rating:

With shades of The Hunger Games, Ender’s Game, and Game of Thrones, debut author Pierce Brown’s genre-defying epic Red Rising hit the ground running and wasted no time becoming a sensation. Golden Son continues the stunning saga of Darrow, a rebel forged by tragedy, battling to lead his oppressed people to freedom.
As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrow’s kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitist masters, the Golds—and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darrow sacrifices himself in the name of the greater good for which Eo, his true love and inspiration, laid down her own life. He becomes a Gold, infiltrating their privileged realm so that he can destroy it from within.
A lamb among wolves in a cruel world, Darrow finds friendship, respect, and even love—but also the wrath of powerful rivals. To wage and win the war that will change humankind’s destiny, Darrow must confront the treachery arrayed against him, overcome his all-too-human desire for retribution—and strive not for violent revolt but a hopeful rebirth. Though the road ahead is fraught with danger and deceit, Darrow must choose to follow Eo’s principles of love and justice to free his people.
He must live for more.

The second book of the trilogy, Golden Son, came out in January, but before I jumped into the sequel I reread Red Rising. I remembered a lot of the major developments and twists, but really needed to refresh my memory about the details. I found myself gasping as it all came back to me.

I did love Red Rising just as much as I did the first time. Reading Red Rising again was the smartest thing because while Golden Son does occasionally remind you of happened in the first book, it does not waste time with the details. It is best to read them back to back.

Like Red Rising I loved the characters ever changing developing and regressing relationships. There is so much that goes on with the alliances, plotting, and backstabbing politics. You shouldn't read this while tired but it is also a page turner that is difficult to put down.

The pacing of the story is well done. The story never slows, but even during moments that are not action filled the scene has meaning. There is no filler. There is humor, romance, suspense, jaw dropping moments, and intense caring for the characters. Except maybe for the ones you love to hate.

I saw a reviewer call Darrow a Gary Stu, and I must disagree. He is flawed and makes some mistakes. He learns from mistakes but also is not invincible to never make another one ever again.

*Very minor spoilers below. *



I love the evolution of Darrow's relationship with Mustang. This is a ship I will go down with. They are my new OTP. I love their intellectual foreplay (that sparring scene!) It is not a love based on shallow feelings but a partnership and in the end a mutual goal. Even if there are bumps along the way.

I love Brown's prose. The action scenes are some of the most poetic I've ever read.
"He looks like a Miltonian angel falling with wrath and glory. His exoskeleton sheds its friction armor, as Lucifer might have shed the fetters of heaven, feathers of flame peeling off, fluttering behind. Then a missile slashes the sky and high-grade explosives christen him mortal once again."

Speaking of fallen angels the third book, Morning Star comes out January 2016 and I need it now! The end of Golden Son - Oh my Howlers!!!!


I need everyone in my life to read these books so we can discuss them!

4.5 out of 5 Gorydamn Howlers

I know there will be another reread next year before Morning Star.


1 comment:

  1. I heard great things about the first book. I even have a review copy. Maybe I'll read it sooner rather than later. Great review, totally infectious!

    ReplyDelete