Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Thirsty Thursdays #13: Tear inducing goodbye


"Thirsty Thursdays" is an original weekly feature where we highlight all that makes our mouth water in the world of books. Join us each week where we will pick either a quote, book cover, book boyfriend or kiss from our favorite books, that makes us all swoony. Please link back to us each week, we'd love for you to share what wets your whistle, as well!

Get those tissues out! Things are about to get real sad up in here today!


Book: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Swoon Quality: THERE IS NO SWOON QUALITY. JUST PLAIN SADNESS. 

“Clark,

A few weeks will have passed by the time you read this (even given your newfound organizational skills, I doubt you will have made it to Paris before early September). I hope coffee is good and storn and the croissants fresh and that the weather is still sunny enough to sit outside on one of those metallic chairs that never sit quite level on the pavement. It’s not bad, the Marquis. The steak is also good, if you fancy coming back for lunch. And if you look down the road to your left you will hopefully see L’Artisan Parfumeur where, after you read this, you should go and try the scent called something like Papillons Extreme (can’t quite remember). I always did think it would smell great on you.
Okay, instructions over. There are a few things I wanted to say and would have told you in person, but (a) you would have got all emotional and (b) you wouldn’t have let me say all this out loud. You always did talk too much.

So here it is: the check you got in the initial envelope from Michael lawler was not the full amount, but just a small gift, to help you through your first weeks of unemployment, and to get you to Paris.

When you get back to England, take this letter to Michael in his London office and he will give you the relevant documents so you can access an account he has set up for me in your name. This account contains enough for you to buy someplace nice to live and to pay for your degree course and your living expenses while you are in full-time education.
My parents will have been told all about it. I hope that this, and Michael Lawler’s legal work, will ensure there is as little fuss as possible.

Clark, I can practically hear you starting to hyperventilate from here. Don’t start panicking, or trying to give it away - it’s not enough for you to sit on your arse for the rest of your life. But it should buy you your freedom, both from that claustrophobic little town we both call home and from the kinds of choices you have so far felt you had to make.

I’m not giving the money to you because I want you to feel wistful, or indebted to me, or to feel that it’s some kind of bloody memorial.

I’m giving you this because there is not much that makes me happy anymore, but you do.
I am conscious that knowing me has cause you pain, and grief, and I hope that one day when you are less angry with me and less upset you will see not just that I could only have done the things that I did, but also that this will help you live a really good life, a better life, than if you hadn’t met me.
You’re going to feel uncomfortable in your new world for a bit. It always does feel strange to be knocked out of your comfort zone. But I hope you feel a bit exhilarated too. Your face when you came back from diving that time told me everything; there is a hunger in you, Clark. A fearlessness. You just buried it, like most people do.

I’m not really telling you to jump off tall buildings, or swim with whales or anything (although I would secretly love to think you were), but to live boldly. Push yourself. Don’t settle. Wear those stripy legs with pride. And if you insist on settling down with some ridiculous bloke, make sure some of this is squirreled away somewhere. Knowing you still have possibilities is a luxury. Knowing I might have given them to you has alleviated something for me.

So this is it. You are scored on my heart, Clark. You were form the first day you walked in, with your ridiculous clothes and your bad jokes and your complete inability to ever haide a single thing you felt. You changed my life so much more than this money will ever change yours.

Don’t think of me too often. I don’t want to think of you getting all maudlin. Just live well.

Just live.

Love, Will”
Why:  I could cry now just thinking about it. My heart broke for Louisa and Will and everyone else involved. They were so lucky to have found each other, but unlucky in having found each other, too. This book was heart shattering. I’ve cried reading many books, but none made me as genuinely sad as this one.

Book: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Swoon Quality: None. It is gut wrenching.

"My name is Hazel. Augustus Waters was the great star-crossed love of of my life. Ours was an epic love story, and I won't be able to get more than a sentence into it without disappearing into a puddle of tears. Gus knew. Gus knows. I will not tell you our love story, because like all real love stories, it will die with us. As it should. I'd hoped that he'd be eulogizing me, because there is no one I'd rather have..." I started crying. "Okay, how not to cry. How am I- okay. Okay."
I took a few breathes and went back to the page. "I can't talk about our love story, so I will talk about math. I am not a mathematician, but I know this: There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many days of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You have me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."
Why: This was a short scene but it was one of the most powerful ones in the book. In this one scene I believe it wraps up a powerful message in the book, time. It also is our view of Hazel saying goodbye to Gus. She could have had more days in between saying this eulogy and (Spoiler Alert!) when he actually died  but to us (me) it was perfect and beautiful and I cried my ass off.



Check out our Thirsty Thursdays tab for all our future Thursday topics!


Until Next Time!


2 comments:

  1. You guys!!! You are making me cry right now... T__T Gosh, these scenes and those books.. kyaaa....

    ReplyDelete
  2. These scenes really made me cry so much. These books has been on my TBR list for months. These scenes really want to make me read these books.

    ReplyDelete