Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday! Books I'd Give To Who Have Never Read Psychological thrillers & Science Fiction


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.
This week we picked different genres to highlight. Lets get down to it.

Psychological thrillers

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn - Twisted. That's the only way to describe this book. I don't think there was a character in Sharp Objects that wasn't damaged. I couldn't put it down.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson - I fell in love with Lisbeth Salander. The story itself was sadistic and creepy. For the first time I actually wanted a book I liked to end just so I could breathe.

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris - It's one of my favorite books and movies. It will toy with your mind the entire time.

Because She Loved Me by Mark Edwards - This book faked me out. There was suspense, but not much of it, because the entire time I thought I had it figured out then the author tossed in a twist that stunned me.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - Another Gillian Flynn book, but no one does "What's going on?!" better than her. Gone Girl wasn't at all what I was expecting. Out of all the books I've read this one probably shocked me most. Though, Sharp Objects is my favorite of hers.

Science Fiction

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick - This one is really cool cause it deals with androids. Not only that, it really makes you think about society as a whole and what makes us human.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer - People usually cast this to the side because it is Stephenie but I happen to think it is her best work so far. It combines romance and science fiction in a way that you aren't bogged down by the science.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - Heartbreaking story yet still has that science fiction element to keep it interesting.

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells - Don't watch the Tom Cruise movie. This is so much better and actually makes the aliens much creepier.

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury - I had to read this and two other of the previous books for a science fiction class I took. I'm so glad I did because this was like a compilation of stories dealing with Mars. Some nice and some creepy as hell. Makes you wonder if this is where we are going soon.

Until Next Time!

3 comments:

  1. Great list! I've only tried a few of both these topics. I enjoyed Gone Girl so I will definitely have to try more of Flynn's books. She can write some seriously messed up characters!
    The War of the Worlds has been on my TBR list for ages. I really should pick it up. And yeah the Tom Cruise movie is bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating reading the Host but I'm leaning close to the yes side. Because I've already seen the movie.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I did not enjoy The Host at all. And I am a fan of Stephenie Meyer. I like your other SF picks. Great list!

    ReplyDelete