Thursday, August 7, 2014

Thirsty Thursdays #7: Accidentally Sexy - non smutty sexy scene


"Thirsty Thursdays" is an original weekly feature where we highlight all that makes our mouth water in the world of books. Join us each week where we will pick either a quote, book cover, book boyfriend or kiss from our favorite books, that makes us all swoony. Please link back to us each week, we'd love for you to share what wets your whistle, as well!

We all know those scenes that are so innocently sweet and then those scenes that get our blood pumping and thinking about cold showers. Sometimes, they are one in the same. 


Swoon Quality: It was a brief encounter but it held so much weight and purpose. And there was touching.
I exited the kitchen and crossed the living room. On my way out the front door, I slammed into Braden, who was coming in.
"Shoot," I gasped, flying backward.
He grabbed hold of my arms, preventing me from falling. Something he would've never done pre-fence chat. He would've let me fall on my butt and then I would've tried to sweet his legs out from beneath him. Our eyes met for the briefest of moments and then he quickly released me. As if realizing he'd breached some unwritten rule, he grabbed my arm, bent down, and threw me over his shoulder.
Walking to the couch, he unceremoniously plopped me down on my back. "There. If you're going to fall on you butt," he said, his eyes twinkling as he said the word, "choose a better place."
Instinct taking over, my hand shot out and grabbed him by the wrist before he could walk away. this is where I would've placed a foot to his ribs or a head to his stomach and then felt like I had won. Instead, instinct didn't follow through and I froze, lying on my back on the couch, holding his wrist. It was strong and familiar. his skin was lighter than mine, and I studied the way my fingers looked against his skin. Disengage, my brain yelled, this is Braden, Gage's best friend, but my hand wouldn't open.
Why: It was sweet and painfully so. Their relationship was changing and with this one act, which leads to much more, showed that. It was different. It was small yet huge. Sexy without being in your face and sometimes that is just what you need.

Swoon Quality: Knowing she’s being watched while watching someone else.
“The giggling in the swimming pool rises in a shriek of laughter and then cuts off abruptly. Charlie hesitates and reluctantly pulls his lips from mine.
“What do you think they’re doing?” I ask. “Should we find out?”
Charlie pushes himself to his feet, then leans over to give me his hand. “Only if it’ll help convince you that swimsuits are optional.”
“Unlikely,” I say, but I follow him to the pool anyway. There are gaps in the fence, each about one inch wide. I squint into the gaps, but can’t make out entire people-just jumbled shapes. Charlie comes up behind me. Circling my waist with his arms, he starts to kiss my neck.
“I thought we were spying,” I whisper.
“Spies do this.”
Just beyond the fence a girl says something, but the wind snatches away her words. I lean in closer, pressing my eye against the largest gap. Brooklyn stands at the top of the plastic staircase leading into a hot tub, holding the stub of a cigarette between two fingers. Black swimsuit bottoms hang low on her hips, and she has a white tank top knotted above her waist. The tank top is wet and pasted to her skin in patches, making it easy to see she’s not wearing a bra.
“What are they doing?” Charlie whispers. I shush him, lifting a finger to my mouth. There’s a boy in the hot tub, too, his brown hair slicked up in wet spikes.
Thin lines of steam rise from the tub, mingling with the smoke from Brooklyn’s cigarette.
“Ever done it in a hot tub?” Brooklyn asks, her mouth curling. She’s wearing dark red lipstick that smudges across her cigarette. The boy stands, water dripping from his faded navy boxers. He grabs Brooklyn and spins her around.
I immediately recognize the light brown eyes, the cleft chin. Josh. Riley’s Josh.
I press my face closer to the fence. Josh sets Brooklyn back down and pulls her to his chest. She drops her cigarette into the water behind her, then lifts her face up to his. They kiss long and deep, and I blush even harder.
Brooklyn looks up, and her eyes find the exact spot in the fence where I’m watching. It’s like someone has touched an icy finger to the lowest part of my back and runs it up the length of my spine. She wraps her arms around Josh’s neck and kisses him again, possessively, her red-painted mouth masing against his teeth as she pulls him closer. The whole time, she never takes her eyes away from the fence. From me.
It’s like a dare. A challenge. I pull away from the fence and turn back to Charlie, feeling as though I’ve had the wind knocked out of me.”
Why:  First, I should say that this scene was probably not meant to be sexy, but rather stand as a show of character for Brooklyn. It is the only scene like this in the entire book. The book is *not* sexy. It is horror and violence filled. However, there was something about this scene that was so sexy to me. Up until this point I found nothing about Brooklyn’s character appealing, but something about the way Vega painted her here made her the tiniest bit girl-crush-worthy. Not to mention the peeping Tom thing. Sick? Maybe, but it worked for me.

What scenes do you find accidentally sexy?

Check out our Thirsty Thursdays tab for all our future Thursday topics!

Until Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love all your GIFs hehe :) I'm looking forward to reading On the Fence. I haven't read any from Kasie West yet so I hope I'll like her writing style and that quote is cute and sexy. Gotta to love sexual tension. It's the first time I've heard of Merciless and that quote, while sexy, is really dark as well. Great picks guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Kasie West's writing style. It's so smooth. Her stories always leave me wanting more! The Merciless is very dark and grotesquely violent. I expected horror, but not all the nail breaking and pulling out of hair. It had me cringing constantly.

    Thanks for stopping by! Heading over to your post. :)

    ReplyDelete