Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Book Con Wrap Up!


It has been a week since the first ever Book Con in New York City, and to say I'm still tired is an understatement! Held at the Jacob Javits Center, it was basically a mini convention of books.

Before it started on Saturday, that Friday night there was a kickoff event. A panel geared toward This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper and the upcoming movie adaptation of it. Along with Jonathan he was joined by the film's stars Tina Fey and Jason Bateman and the director Shawn Levy. It was a great panel. Jonathan ended up reading a few passages from the book and they showed the scenes from the movie. I really suggest reading the book before the movie comes out because this movie is going to be amazing.


The next day was book con! And let me say, the amount of people there was shocking. It didn't really help that it felt like two different conventions going on because technically BEA was still happening. I got there super early and planned my whole day around author signings. I wish I could have taken some pictures of the lines that were there because they were massive! Mostly everyone wanted tickets for Cassie Clare/Holly Black signings. I ended up getting a ticket for them and Maggie Stiefvater but when I saw all the other authors I wanted to meet, I gave the tickets to some girls who really wanted to meet them. All about paying it forward.

 

The moment I walked in, I was herded through the exhibit hall. I had books basically thrust into my face which wasn't all so bad. That was the only time that day that I felt like things were semi normal because after that everywhere I walked there were people just there.

A friend of mine, who was actually a BEA attendee, advised me to start making choices. I started the day with a list of 23 different signings I wanted to go to. Out of 23 I made it to 7. The lines were long but fun. The amount of people I got to meet who were just book lovers was amazing. Even one girl who had a BEA badge, let me borrow it so I could sneak over to the BEA only side of the center so I could get some Pinkberry. I hadn't eaten anything since the day before and by 10 am I was already exhausted.





 Danielle Fishel (left) and Sylvia Day (below)

These were two of my favorite signings that happened. Danielle was extremely nice and Sylvia was a doll. (Sidenote: The button I'm wearing says "My book boyfriend is _____" I put Augustus as in Waters. Apparently I wasn't so original in that choice.)

Because of my choice to do more signings, I didn't get to go to any panels except one. My friend got to go to the Veronica Roth and Alex London conversation though. From the pictures she took, it seemed like it was a good time. Again, with the amount of people present, I don't know how anyone go anywhere. The lines to just get into the rooms for any of the panels was horrendous. There was a panel for The Fault in Our Stars, which I wanted to go to but because everyone wanted to go to that, the line was maybe over 1,000 people it felt like. My friends and I decided to leave the line and go to a panel with Danielle Page, Marie Lu, Alaya Dawn Johnson and moderated by Veronica Roth where they discussed dystopias. The line for that panel was also extremely long but not as bad as some others. We ended up meeting a couple of new authors among the crowd. Erica Cameron, author of Sing Sweet Nightingale, who described her book as a cross between Alice in Wonderland and Beetlejuice. I was sold! The other was A.R. Kahler, author of The Immortal Circus and Martyr. He even told us that he used to be a circus performer. How cool is that?!
The panel ended up being really good and made me want to read more dystopias and their books. The ladies talked about what things they took from real life to mold the worlds of their books which I thought was really interesting. Marie Lu talked about how in Legend series, it is basically California. Alaya went into a deep explanation of how she came up with the concept of The Summer Prince. Danielle even talked how she used to work as a writer on a popular soap opera and the differences between that and writing books.

Overall, I would say Book Con was a success and it will probably be something I do again. Maybe next year I will be part of BEA instead.

I ended up getting a lot of books as well. Some I already had in my head to get and others I had never heard of but that is the fun of something like this. Discovering new reads.


My Book Haul
Here are a couple more pictures I took while there. (It isn't much)



(Taken by my friend)






Until Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. Sana @ Step Into FictionJune 11, 2014 at 3:33 PM

    I think you made out good at Book Con! As I told you, these things can be a bit tricky. Having to choose between signings can be tough!

    ReplyDelete