Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday! Books we almost put down but didn't!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This week we are listing the top ten books that we almost gave up on. We've all had that feeling of just giving up but we push through and usually end up very surprised.

Just One Day by Gayle Forman - The first quarter of Just One Day made me feel one, stupid, and two, tired. I know very little about Shakespeare, though, I am feeling a bit more informed after picking this book back up and vowing to get through it. This is my current read and with only 15% left to read I am happy to say, that I did finally get into the story (and Shakespeare), and am itching to get to the end.




The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han - This nearly went in the DNF pile once I realized that there would be no character growth, nor, development. Somehow I stuck it out and joined Belly through the Summer she turned pretty, though, I will not be continuing the series. 




The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp - When I first started The Spectacular Now I was plagued with a book hangover. A really really good book hangover. The shift from Unhinged to TSN was not easy. The writing styles clashed, the genre, it was simply a bad pick on my part. I did come back to this, however, and ended up liking it well enough that I could have slapped myself for putting it down in the first place.




Fallen by Lauren Kate - Possibly the slowest build in the history of slow build. After Fallen there were a lot of questions I needed answered, so I did move on to Torment and enjoyed it, but I’ve yet to read Passion. One day I hope to. For now, I’m just fine not trudging through another inky incline.


Dark Lover by J. R. Ward - I loved this book once I got past the rap loving, homeboy talking vampires. LOL It was hard picturing vampires this way. However, it worked, and I do plan to go on to finish the series.

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks - I had seen the movie before I read the book so I was constantly comparing the two. At certain points I just wanted to give up on the book since it was pretty different but sticking with it was good because I ended up loving the differences.




Insurgent by Veronica Roth - I ended up putting this down for about 2 months before going back to it. I was a victim of a book hangover and needed something not dystopian. I’m so glad I didn’t give up on the series though. It is now one of my favorites. 




City of Glass by Cassandra Clare - Another book part of a series I almost gave up on. It took me 9 months to actually finish this book. I put it down the moment I found out a huge spoiler and it turned me off from it. I ended up pushing through and liked the ending enough.




Looking for Alaska by John Green - I love John Green and The Fault in Our Stars is one of my favorite books ever, but when it came to Looking for Alaska, I couldn’t just get into it. I liked it enough and it was really good but it felt like the slow build was too slow for me.


Bared to You by Sylvia Day - I almost put this down before even starting. I am not a fan of Fifty Shades so reading something along those lines was not something I was into. However, I devoured it eventually and it’s second book but then it got too crazy for me to continue on to the third.



Until Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment