Thursday, August 21, 2014

Guest Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry


The Giver by Lois Lowry
Publication Date: First published in 1993
Published: Ember
Reviewer: Marc

My Rating:

Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

Ok. So The Giver is a book that came out in 1993. Granted it is not a recent release but it is actually relevant to today’s world as there is now a movie coming out based on the book. I admit that I was supposed to have read it back in either Middle School or High School but I was a slacker and not into reading back then. I am pleased to say that I am now. The only thing I remembered about supposedly having to read it was the creepy looking guy on the cover. But due to the movie I decided to give it a chance and I am glad I did.

Picture a world with mainly rules but nothing else. No color. No hate. No love. Just picture a “utopian” society where everyone follows rules and is content. That is the world in the Giver. Everyone has an assigned job and everyone just lives. The main focus is on Jonas, 12 year old boy receives his assignment as Receiver of Memory. This assignment pairs him with a man called the Giver. Throughout their meetings Jonas’ mind is opened up to ideas and the world that is not a part of his community. This leads Jonas down a slippery slope of a journey that he may or may not have been prepared for.

I must admit that I really enjoyed the book. I think I enjoyed it more as an adult than I would when I was younger and should have read it. It is a great mix of mystery and emotions. The information that Jonas is thought is easy to relate to you can certainly understand why he feels the way he feels throughout the book. It is a very quick and light read but packs a good moral lesson or at least it did for me. It really made me think about what I should appreciate in life when faced with the idea of living in Jonas’ world. 

After seeing the movie, I feel the movie actually does the book a pretty good justice. Sure the movie elaborates on stories only touched upon in the book but with a book the length of the Giver it makes sense to expand a little for the audience. There are other subtle differences but I do not want to ruin either the book or the movie for anyone.

Overall I think the book is a great read for someone of any age and am really glad I gave it another shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment