Monday, June 5, 2017

Book Review: The Untamed by Sebastian A. Jones!


The Untamed: A Sinner's Prayer (Graphic Novel)
Author:  Sebastian A. Jones, Andrew Cosby (Foreword), Peter Bergting (Illustrator), Darrell May (Illustrator)
Publication Date: October 26, 2014
Published: Stranger Comics

My Rating:

I was given a second chance in death.
Vengeance was offered and I was quick to accept."

A cloaked Stranger slips into the rustic Town of Oasis changing things forever. Ten years it had been since he ran this town with malice and harshness. Even then there was hope for his soul. His wife and daughter were on the verge of turning him from wickedness. But they were murdered, and so was he. He is granted seven days to reap seven souls and gain a chance at revenge. Conflict arises as a young girl (Niobe Ayutami) reminds him of his murdered daughter. She acts as his conscience and become his only hope for salvation.

The Untamed: A Sinner's Prayer is set in the dark fantasy world of Asunda. Asunda was created by Stranger Comics founder and president Sebastian A. Jones over a 20 year period. A true labor of love, Asunda is unlike any other fantasy setting in existence. Developed in coordination with Stranger’s art director, anthropologist Darrell May, Asunda features an honest and oftentimes beautifully violent and savage approach to the medieval sword and sorcery genre, one where the world is exactly that... an entire world, filled with a variety of races which have evolved to suit their environment, not a decades old preconception of what elves and dwarves should be or how they should appear. If you like your fantasy with a touch of Sergio Leone, The Untamed is for you. If you think Clint Eastwood, Toshiro Mifune, or Richard Roundtree would have made bad ass elves, The Untamed is for you. If you want to see a wicked man return from the dead to choose between revenge and redemption... then The Untamed is definitely for you.
I bought this graphic novel at New York Comic Con 2015.

There was also a deal going on where if you bought The Untamed you could get the prequel, Niobe #1 Convention Exclusive, for $10 more. By the time I went they sold out of that exclusive, but there was a signing going on with artist Ashley A. Woods and author Amandla Stenberg. (Amandla played Rue in The Hunger Games and also played Macey Irving on Sleepy Hollow. She is the co-author with Sebastian Jones of the comic book Niobe: She is Life)

Darrell May (the Illustrator), Ashely and Amandla signed my copy of The Untamed.

So, my procrastinating self finally got around to reading it.

I liked the content in the book and felt it was worth the price. The seven comic book issues are in color, which is a plus. The color pallet fit the mood of the story really well. Sometimes it was difficult to tell the hooded characters apart, but that became easier as the story progressed and they would show their faces.

There is also a "making of" feature in the appendix, an interview, and artwork of different characters from a few different artists. It's a nice collection.

There is some world-building to the story, which actually took me a few rereads to get straight. I could have used a character/creature guide page. I did finally get who was who and what was going on. On one hand I don't like when a story is dumbed down, but I did feel a bit lost at times as I was reading. I also feel like I am missing some pieces of the puzzle and would have liked some more information about what happened 10 years ago.

I am glad that Niobe has her own comic book series (which I think is a prequel) because I wished there were more scenes with her.

All in all I did like the story of revenge with a twist of possible redemption and hope. I guess there will be a sequel since the end is left open for one, but so far I only know of prequel stories.

I'll check up on it next NYCC.

3.5 out 5 runes.


No comments:

Post a Comment