Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday! Books To Read If You Are In The Mood For Laughing & Being Nostalgic


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish

So we couldn't decide on one mood for this week's topic so we decided to do both. Cause that's always fun, right?



1. Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fisher
You don't have to be a Star Wars fan to know Carrie is a funny lady and in this memoir she shares some of the funniest stories from her life. I could go into detail, but I rather leave it to the expert. I would just ruin the mood. Among many things Carrie writes about being a product of two Hollywood stars, being the iconic Princess Leia, and she also writes about the ups and downs of living with bi-polar disorder. I admire that Carrie can take some of these serious stories, look back and find some humor in them.

2. Thank You Notes, by Jimmy Fallon with the Writers of Late Night
If you are feeling down and need a quick pick-me up to flip through, this is the book for you. If you have seen the Thank You Notes sketch on The Tonight Show, this is exactly that. As an added bonus you can read them with Jimmy's voice in your head to set the tone. Here is my favorite from the book:
"Thank you...certain days when I can see the sun and the moon in the sky at the same time. You make me feel like I'm Luke Skywalker on is home planet of Tatooine, concerned about his aunt and uncle and restless for adventure."

3. "Princess Prettypants", by Meg Cabot.
This short story is part of a collection in Zombies Vs. Unicorns. This was one unicorn story that I remember made me laugh out loud the most. It has some of the funniest and silliest one liners that I wish I had a way to incorporating into real life dialogue.

4. Tunnel Vision, by Keith Lowe.
A man makes a bet with his best friend on the eve of his wedding day that he can ride the entire Underground system in 24 hours. The hijinks that derail him (pun intended) along the way are both funny and suspenseful When I read it I felt like I was watching a British comedy.

5. How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake Series #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks
A Vampire loses one of his fangs bitting into something he shouldn't have. He goes to a dentist to get the fang repaired and of course he and the dentist fall in love. There are a few other subplots too and it feels like a sitcom. It's really silly and cheesy, but so entertaining. It's a great book to read when you're looking for a parody of old tropes but you also root for the characters.


This book was great if you loved the 90's. When mixtapes were on actual tapes and road trips were what kept college kids from dying from boredom. I loved this read because with the song titles for chapter titles, I felt transported back where times were a bit simpler. 

7. Remember When by T. Torrest
There must be a theme with my books today because this is another one set in the 90's. But instead of college kids, this was all about high school and that first love. It gave me butterflies the whole time. This whole series was a throwback in the best way.

8. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
This gives you the nostalgic feel because it is about crushes. And how when you're younger, those crushes and loves were the be all to end all. I had issues with some of the characters but it didn't stop me from remembering when I had that first love.

9. The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll
This is a different kind of nostalgia. This is a darker one. It's about drugs and sex and being young in the gitty city in the 60's. It was a time before mine but it was still New York and a New York that I could see every day still. I will forever love this book. Plus, when I saw the movie, it was when I truly fell in love with Leonardo DiCaprio.

10. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
I couldn't have a nostalgia list without this book. The music, the clothes, the everything about this book just screams nostalgia and young love. Two things I'm all about. Music alone was enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment