Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday! Books we enjoyed recently that weren't our typical genre


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish

This is a great topic this week. I unfortunately don't have any to contribute but Stephanie does! Look at her choices below.



1. The Prophet, by Michael Koryta

When I hear that football is involved I usually shun it. I hate football. But when this was handed to me at Book Con and it was called "Friday Night Lights meets In Cold Blood" I was interested. I ended up loving it.


2. Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story, by Jewel

I usually don't read memoirs. Jewel is different though because she writes beautiful, meaningful songs. I came to learn that memoirs are not boring when you love the person you are reading about.


3. Zombies vs. Unicorns, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier 

I hardly ever read short stories because I like getting lost in a novel's longer narrative. These stories were a great completion of fantasy tales that let you decided if you prefer zombies, unicorns, or both. Many of the authors I was already familiar with and having their ideas all in one book makes it a good one for the book shelf.


3. Sentinels Books 1-4 and Sentinels Anthology, by Rich Bernatovech, Jamie Fay, and Luciano Vecchio 

The only graphic novels/comic books I ever read were Star Wars. After winning a raffle for the Sentinels collection I branched out. I really enjoyed the stories and characters that were not from the Star Wars universe. At this year's New York Comic-Con I bought more comic-books and a graphic novel to read this year.

4. The Dark and Hallow Places, by Carrie Ryan 

This is actually the last book in a trilogy. I usually only like zombie stories when they are comical: iZombie or Warm Bodies. These are serious brain and flesh eating zombies in story with good world building .


5. The Cripple of Inishmaan, by Martin McDonagh

The only times I ever read a play is when I had to in school, or after I already saw the play and loved it. It is amazing how much plot and character development can come from a story that is made up only of dialogue and stage directions.


No comments:

Post a Comment