Friday, July 4, 2014

Guest Book Review: Wonder by R.J. Palacio (@rjpalacio)


Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Publication Date: February 14, 2012
Published: Knopf (Random House)
Reviewer: Rachel

My Rating:
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


“I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.”


I happened to pick this book up by chance and ended up reading it within a day and a half. I seen it on the shelf, figured hey… why not. I have to admit, that sometimes with books, I can judge one by the cover but I decided to go against what I usually would and so I bought the book. I’ve never been more pleased with a decision.

Not only does this book grip you by the collar of your shirt and pull you into a world of characters that you can’t help but root for, but it leaves you with a sense of fulfillment. When I finished those last pages, I truly felt as if I were standing there with Mr. Tushman myself. It had me laughing one minute and teary eyed the next. A must read.

Wonder is a great example of how kindness, compassion, loyalty, strength, courage and more can shape not just your life, but the lives around you. RJ Palacio captures a bit of everyone in each character in this novel. We all have a bit of Auggie, Julian, Jack, Via, Summer, Justin in us and to say I’m excited for 365 Days of Wonder due out in August, would be an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment