Thursday, June 5, 2014

Book Review: Get Happy by Mary Amato (@maryamato)


Get Happy by Mary Amato
Publication Date: October 28, 2014
Published: EgmontUSA
Source: eARC from Netgalley

My Rating:

In this poignant, realistic, contemporary YA by a state master list star, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Gayle Forman, a young songwriter builds a substitute family with her friends in place of the broken family she grew up with.
A hip high school girl who loves music, writes songs, and is desperate for a ukelele, learns to her shock that her father did not abandon her years ago and has been trying to keep in touch. She begins to investigate him, only to discover that he has a new life with a new family, including the perfect stepdaughter, a girl who Minerva despises.
 


Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of Get Happy.

Having recently read Just One Day by Gayle Forman, I decided to request Get Happy. The synopsis claims that this book is perfect for fans of Forman, however, I found the only similarities between the two were the YA genre and a female protagonist, and ended there.

Get Happy wasn't terrible. I would categorize this as a family drama. It was an easy, light read, but I started noticing a trend around chapter 4, where the chapters were spoiled by chapter titles. Before reading a single word I knew what was coming. It annoyed me to the point that I found it hard to enjoy.

Unfortunately, this story fell flat for me. The characters were quirky enough, but without any development I felt no attachment.



Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment