Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Discussion: Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren (@BeautifulBastrd)


Happy June! I hope you're liking all the changes to the site lately. To see some of our past discussions, check out our new discussion tab on top. On to the good stuff. This month we are talking about Sweet Filthy Boy! Get ready for the sexy...

One-night stands are supposed to be with someone convenient, or wickedly persuasive, or regrettable. They aren’t supposed to be with someone like him.
But after a crazy Vegas weekend celebrating her college graduation—and terrified of the future path she knows is a cop-out—Mia Holland makes the wildest decision of her life: follow Ansel Guillaume—her sweet, filthy fling—to France for the summer and just…play.
When feelings begin to develop behind the provocative roles they take on, and their temporary masquerade adventures begin to feel real, Mia will have to decide if she belongs in the life she left because it was all wrong, or in the strange new one that seems worlds away.

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! If you haven't read the book yet, be careful of what you read from this point on. Few spoilers throughout. But if you've read the book, then join us!


  1. If you could smack any of the characters upside the head, who would it be and why? 
Nikki: Ansel. However, I would smack him and then kiss the living shit out of him because he is just that swoon worthy. I get that the beginning of his and Mia’s relationship was less than conventional and that not everything could be out in the open from the start but Ansel took the punk way out with some things. I mean, come on, Perry? Enough said.

Keira: Ugh. I couldn't agree more. He needed to be smacked. Repeatedly. Mia gave him an in, and he never took it. That said, though, I loved Ansel and… Where can I get one of him? Perry also needed to be smacked. Mia was an innocent bystander. The way Perry “attacked” her grinded my gears! You know, the more I think about it, the more I could have smacked Mia, too. She was incredibly indecisive.
  1. What do you think will happen next to the main characters? 
Nikki: I don’t know, but I would love to know what happens while Mia is in San Diego and Ansel goes back to Paris for work. I don’t see their relationship being a bunch of roses, but the passion is there and hopefully they could work it out. And continue their exploration with role play.

Keira: I wasn't such a fan of the roleplay. It was hot, but not my cup-o-tea, sooooo I hope they can explore each other without the masks. It would be nice to see their relationship withstand their separation, however, with Perry in Paris, I foresee some kinks. Hopefully in the next book we see a bit of Mia and Ansel and where they are, not just within their relationship, but as individuals. I definitely think Mia made the right decision by returning home and going to work at the dance studio. I like to think she’s rocking that, with the support of her father.
  1. Do the main characters change by the end of the book? 
Nikki: Mia for the most part did. She gained some independence and some self worth that she needed. Having lost the ability to dance really shaped who she was. But having some of that back and the confidence she had with Ansel in Paris really changed her from the meek stuttering girl she was prior to Vegas. Ansel shouldn't change one bit.

Keira: Hmm. Yeah, I think Mia grew substantially. It was nice to see her do something for herself in the end. The best choice she made was leaving Paris. Ansel changed, as well. He learned a lesson in the art of honesty. I think it sobered him a bit, and made him wake up to the mistake he made. I loved that in the end he stopped making excuses and owned it.
  1. How did you experience the book? Were you engaged immediately, or did it take you a while to “get into it”? How did you feel reading it? 
Nikki: I was pretty into it from the beginning. I actually devoured it in about a day. This came after me reading two of the Beautiful Bastard series so I was already in the mind space of these authors.

Keira: It took me a while. I wasn't really into it until Mia got on the first plane. It was good all the way through, but the change in atmosphere, the awkwardness in the apartment, really worked for me.
  1. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to their predicaments? To what extent do that remind you of yourself or someone you know? 
Nikki: I won’t say that there aren't people who aren't like the ones in this book but I don’t know any personally. If I did I would be in Paris having amazing sex with my own Ansel. But I could relate to some of Mia’s insecurities. What I liked the most about her and that was the most relatable was when she wrote herself the letter when she was drunk in Vegas. It felt like even though she made this huge change, she was aware of the choices she was making regardless of how crazy it was.

Keira: I can’t personally relate. I’m sure there are women in the world, who have the luck of meeting their perfect man in a spur of the moment moment, leading to weeks of hot, earth-shattering sex, and him chasing them around the globe. However, I’m not one of those women. I’m not a distressed damsel. Perhaps I should reevaluate my position in life if I’m going to meet an Ansel. If my husband asks about this line of thinking, this was written in a “Vegas type-of drunk” state.
  1. What did you think of the ending? 
Nikki: It was cute but I was left wanting more. It felt like things were resolved a little too easily. However, if things would have been drawn out so much I don’t think I would have liked that either. So I’m kinda on the fence of it.

Keira: I was satisfied. When I first finished the book I felt as though Ansel got off too easily. Mia, understandably, was miserable, but the whole Perry thing was concluded too quickly for my comfort. There are so many questions I have about where they ended up, but I agree with Nikki, I’m not sure I would have liked it if the story was drawn out. If we never find out what happened in those six months Ansel and Mia were apart, I will happily draw my own conclusions.
  1. What surprised you most about the book? 
Nikki: The fact that the book was told just from Mia's POV shocked me. I was getting used to hearing dual sides in Christina Lauren books. I understand why it couldn't be that way but I was surprised. Pleasantly, but surprised none the less.

Keira: I read this upon recommendation, without reading the synopsis, so when I realized this was a “what happens in Vegas” type of book I was really surprised, not in a bad way. I just hadn't expected it.
  1. What moral/ethical choices did the characters make? What did you think of those choices? How would you have chosen? 
Nikki: Mia’s choice to leave behind everything she knew, the comfort of her home life and fly to Paris with her husband who she had just met days before was a huge choice. Would I have had made the same choice? Probably not. Would I have wanted to? Hell yes! I think it was the best thing for her because her life was going in a direction she wasn't necessarily happy with. Even though she went to be with Ansel, I think that the choice wasn't just about a guy.

Keira: Obviously in my current circumstance I would not make the same decision, but if I were in Mia’s shoes? YES! How could you even say no? Swoon. For me, however, it was her decision to leave. She had to choose between what she felt was right and the man she loved. My heart broke for Mia, but I think she did the right thing. I would have left, too.
  1. Were there any particular quotes or scenes that stood out to you? Why?
Nikki: Quotes I’m not sure about. Scenes however, holy hell. There were some great steamy scenes that I fell in love with. One of my favorites was when Mia dressed up as the devil’s assistant and then played a little truth with Ansel. Not that the sex was good, it was a scene where we got to see Ansel be vulnerable and open up to Mia because before that we didn't know very much about Ansel the man. And any time Ansel is turned on is a good time for me.

Keira: The maid scene was probably my favorite. Softly dominate Ansel? Yes and please. I also absolutely loved that he told her how to say, “I need the large dildo, same size as my husband.” in French. Hilarious!

So the consensus on this book really... (In the fine words of Jenna Marbles)




Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment